A South Korean actor being investigated for allegedly sexually assaulting his students has been found dead in Seoul days before his formal questioning.

Jo Min-ki, 53, was found dead in the basement of his home in Seoul, South Korea, Friday, with his death being treated as a suicide, although the official cause of his death has not yet been released.


Min-ki has been named by a number of women in the Asian nation as having sexually abused them while he was a professor at the Cheongju University. The actor who was featured in a number of South Korean television dramas, among his other appearances, had initially responded to the claims, calling them false and said he was innocent. He later apologized to the women for the way they felt about his actions, but did not retract his previous claims that he never had encounters with them.

“Everything is my fault, and I am the one to blame,” Min-ki said in a statement February 27, according to the BBC. “I am deeply sorry to all the victims for the pain I’ve caused, and from here on out, I will not avoid the social and legal consequences of my mistakes.”

Min-ki was fired from his position at the university following the rape and sexual assault allegations.

Since January, a number of South Koreans have joined the #MeToo movement, starting with one woman who claimed a senior male prosecutor groped her at a funeral in 2010. Since then, like the movement within the United States, men in high positions of power have been ousted for mistreatment and nonconsensual sexual contact from the entertainment to business industries.

Min-ki’s death comes as the first out of the South Korean men being investigated for sexual harassment charges. The actor had a set date for formal questioning by police on the matter early next week.


If you have a suggestion for this page, please let us know. Also, if you think this is worth sharing, you can do so using the links below.